Home seller closing FAQs
What do I need to do prior to the closing?
- Fulfill requirements as listed in the purchase agreement.
- Provide REALTOR® with prior owner’s title insurance policy or abstract.
- Contact your current mortgage company to cancel automatic mortgage payment withdrawals.
- Contact current utility companies to arrange for disconnection.
- Schedule final inspections as required by the city.
- Contact the closer if any recent repairs or improvements have been made to the home.
What should I bring to the closing appointment?
- A valid photo ID
- Social security number
- All keys, garage door openers, alarm system combinations
- Code compliance, if applicable
I need to bring money to closing. What form should it be in?
In most cases, Edina Realty Title requires wired funds or an official check from your bank. Contact your Edina Realty Title closer for specific instructions.
How long will it take to close on my new home?
Generally, closings are completed in an hour.
What happens at the closing?
- Final lender requirements will be met.
- Final Settlement statement will be reviewed and signed.
- Closing documents will be reviewed, signed and notarized.
- Funds are collected and disbursed.
- Keys, garage door opener(s) and other property information will be exchanged.
What can I do if I can’t attend the scheduled appointment?
Your Realtor should contact the Edina Realty Title closer to see if you can pre-sign your documents.
I am selling my house and have been asked for a copy of my owner’s title insurance policy that I purchased at the time of closing. Where do I locate this?
If you purchased owner’s title insurance policy at the time of purchase, it would have been mailed to you after closing and may be among your records. If you used Edina Realty Title but cannot locate it among your records, call our Customer Service department for assistance at 952-928-5200.
I have a prior owner’s mortgage showing up on the title to my property. What do I do?
Contact our claims staff at 952-928-5200 to obtain a Letter of Indemnity or Satisfaction of Mortgage.
At closing we set up an escrow. How do I get the money, and how long will it take?
Please call 952-928-5200 and ask to be directed to our Escrow Release department.
Your title questions, answered
"Wow, you showed up for us in a big way today! Thank you for making our closing possible."
John and Kathy, Minneapolis
"It can't be easy closing on a home like ours. You were incredibly professional – thank you for helping us achieve the dream of home ownership."