We understand that there is a vital need for many to purchase and sell homes during this busy time of year, even amidst the current COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) pandemic that is affecting everyone on both a local and global scale. Our entire network of REALTORS®, along with Edina Realty Home Services, are committed to serving your real estate needs, now and always.
Your safety is a top priority. Across the real estate industry, we are taking a number of precautions and will continue to provide you with the highest level of service during this unprecedented time.
What is COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)?
COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that is rapidly evolving, affecting 134 countries and now classified as a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO). The virus is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) urges the practice of social distancing by staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings and maintaining distance (approximately six feet) from others when possible.
Steps our offices and staff are taking to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus
Our offices are being diligent about cleaning, reporting illness and taking any and all necessary steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- We have assembled a task force to stay current on rapidly changing developments; protect our clients, agents and employees; and to keep our business running smoothly.
- We remain open for business, but our offices have temporarily closed. Edina Realty Home Services agents and employees continue working remotely to assist you. Simply reach out at any time for help with your home buying, selling, mortgage, title, insurance and warranty needs.
- We are cleaning continuously with particular attention to frequently touched surfaces, areas and objects.
- Meetings and trainings are being held via teleconferencing, video conference and through the use of various technologies to avoid the need for in-person group gatherings.
- At this time, we will continue to perform closings and have several precautionary measures in place to limit interactions and ensure the safety of everyone involved.
Changes you may see when working with an agent
Edina Realty agents maintain a strong foundation in ethics. Our core values of honesty, integrity, commitment, innovation and community are constant in all we do. We believe in treating all clients and potential clients equally and fairly.
In order to protect our clients and ourselves, agent practices may adjust slightly during this time. Here are a few adjustments that you may experience:
- We may ask you about recent travel, particularly to areas identified as having an increased risk of coronavirus. We will be asking all our clients the same questions based on current, factual information from public health authorities and is in no way intended to make you feel uncomfortable or singled out.
- We may request that we meet you at a property instead of offering to drive you or we may decline to drive you if you show signs of illness or have recently traveled to areas of increased risk of coronavirus
- If we continue to drive healthy clients, we may ask you to use hand sanitizer when getting in and out of the car.
- You may notice us cleaning and disinfecting surfaces frequently. Some of these popular touchpoints will include door handles, doorknobs, seat belt latches, dashboards, countertops, lockboxes and similar areas.
What buyers and sellers should know about open houses and showings
At this time, all in-person Edina Realty open houses are suspended until safety recommendations are lifted. Agents will be conducting virtual open houses, video tours and careful private showings.
We will speak openly and honestly about the pros and cons of private in-home showings. By partnering with an Edina Realty agent, you have access to a variety of alternative options including Edina Realty’s strong network, expert marketing solutions, high quality listing photographs and details, video tours and other methods to virtually explore a property.
If you plan to allow or attend private in-home showings, the following precautions may be required:
- All visitors may be asked to disinfect their hands upon entering the home
- The hosting agent may limit the amount of people in the home
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer may be offered at the entryway
- Sellers may be asked to leave lights on and doors and cabinets open.
- Visitors will be asked not to touch any surfaces.
Sellers will be asked to clean and disinfect their home after each showing, especially commonly touched areas like doorknobs and faucet handles.
As of March 16, the current recommendation is that all in-person events consisting of 10 or more people be cancelled, postponed or modified to virtual events.
What you can do to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus
Here is a list of CDC precautions to help prevent the spread:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren't available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing by staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet) from others when possible.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
Stay informed, don’t panic and use good judgment. Refer to the CDC’s website for up-to-date information, recommendations, travel precautions and the latest impact of the coronavirus.
Reach out with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your housing needs during this unprecedented time.