Edina Realty Title is the most popular title company in Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Below, they answer sellers' title and closing questions.
Now that a purchase agreement has been signed by all parties and you’ve selected a title company to close the sale of your home, it’s time to understand the closing process. From this point on you will want to maintain the property in good condition and prepare for your closing. Your agent can provide you with a Home Improvement Log so that you can journal the major improvements you’ve made to the home for the buyer.
The sellers' closing process
- Receive an email introducing you to your closer and inviting you to sign up for Edina Realty Title Exchange.
- Create a password for Edina Realty Title Exchange, where you will send and receive secure information with your closer.
- Verify or update your personal information.
- Receive closing date, time and location.
- Notify your utility companies of a final service or move out date.
- Receive preliminary settlement statement from your closer.
- Receive instructions for seller proceeds.
- Attend closing unless you’ve pre-signed closing documents and receive your proceeds from the buyer's title company.
What can I do if I can’t attend the scheduled appointment?
Your real estate agent should contact the Edina Realty Title closer to see if you can pre-sign your documents.
How long will it take to close on my new home?
Generally, closings are completed in an hour.
What do I need to do prior to the closing?
- Fulfill requirements as listed in the purchase agreement.
- Contact your current mortgage company to cancel automatic mortgage payment withdrawals.
- Contact your current utility companies to arrange for disconnection.
- Schedule final inspections as required by the city.
- Contact your closer if any recent repairs or improvements have been made to the home.
What should I bring to my closing appointment?
- A valid photo ID
- Social security number
- All keys, garage door openers and codes and any alarm system combinations
- Code compliance if applicable
I am selling my house and have been asked for a copy of my owner’s title insurance policy that I purchased at the time of closing. Where do I locate this?
If you purchased an owner’s title insurance policy at the time of purchase, it would have been mailed or emailed to you after closing and may be among your records. If you used Edina Realty Title but cannot locate it among your records, call our Customer Service department for assistance at 952-928-5200.
I have a prior owner’s mortgage showing up on the title to my property. What do I do?
If you used Edina Realty Title when purchasing your home, contact our claims staff at 952.928.5200 to obtain a Letter of Indemnity or contact your closer to help resolve.
At closing we set up an escrow. How do I get the money, and how long will it take?
If you used Edina Realty Title, please call 952.928.5200 and ask to be directed to our Escrow Release department.
Looking for more information about selling your home? Download "The Ultimate Guide to Selling Your Home"to find out everything you've ever wanted to know about the selling process, but didn't know to ask.