Are you looking for the perfect dog-friendly city to call home? From tap rooms and coffee shops that welcome your dog indoors to the best dog parks in the state, these cities offer the best opportunities to buy a fenced-in yard home near the best doggy hot spots!
#1 — Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis leads the pack as one of the most dog-friendly cities in America. No matter what part of town you’re in, there are sure to be shops, restaurants, bars and businesses to welcome you and your dog. Visit In the Loop Coffee Company (dogs welcome indoors and out) or Smack Shack patio in the North Loop, get a little crazy at Psycho Suzi’s or Glam Doll Donuts in northeast (Nordeast), or head downtown to Lakes and Legends Brewing Company where well-behaved furry friends are welcome year-round in the taproom. Taking a stroll through Uptown? A fresh bowl of water will likely be waiting outside of the Apple store where dogs are welcome to step inside with their human companion and your furry friends are welcome in Calhoun Square.
And, possibly the dog-friendliest, neighborhood in the entire state… Linden Hills! Don’t miss Woofstock in early September for a unique shopping experience featuring pet products, live music, dog programming, pet demos and even a dog fashion show. Dogs are always welcome in many Linden Hills shops and restaurants, including Coffee & Tea Ltd featuring two coffee blends that benefit animal programs and all tips are donated to Animal Ark, a no-kill shelter in Hastings. And dog walkers will love a hike around Lake Harriet, just a few blocks away.
Feel the need for speed? Dogs can take a run at any of the large number of dog parks in Minneapolis. A couple of the most popular for dog lovers include Minnehaha Dog Park with its dog beach on the Mississippi River and Lake of the Isles Dog Park offering a separate area for smaller dogs.
Looking for a new job? Dog-friendly employers in Minneapolis include Lola Red, Periscope, CMM-Finance and the <href="#/">Edina Realty City Lakes office.
- Median sold price:$285K
- Parks, recreation, preserves: 3,517 acres
- City population: 428,483
- Current # of homes for sale with fenced in yards: 368 of 692
#2 — Duluth, MN
Want to visit the hottest dog hangout in the state? The historic Fitger’s is where it’s at! Let’s start with Doggy Yappy Hour, every Tuesday (weather permitting) in Fitger’s courtyard at the Lakeside Bar. Yes, there is a special Doggie Yappy Hour menu featuring frozen yogurts, meatballs and bones. Bring your pooch to patio dining at a number of restaurants, shop 15 stores that welcome dogs, and Fitger’s Inn even offers pet-friendly rooms if you want to extend your visit!
Duluth offers four dog parks, including Keene Creek Dog Park conveniently located near I-35. And if you’re in need of doggie day care, there are three kennels in Duluth, one in Superior, WI, and two businesses that offer pet-sitting services. There are also several dog-friendly shops and patio restaurants in Canal Park.
- Median sold price: $200K
- Parks, recreation, preserves: 17,834 acres
- City population: 85,884
- Current # of homes for sale with fenced in yards: 44 of 329
#3 — Hudson, WI
Come to Yappy Hour on the dog-friendly patio at Urban Olive and Vine in Hudson, offering individual water bowls for your pooch and a special dog menu. They even carry wine from Chateau la Paws and proceeds from every bottle sold are donated to Coco’s Heart Dog Rescue in Hudson.
Run off those homemade meatball treats at the fenced, two-acre Hudson Dog Park, or take a leisurely leashed stroll along the river at LakeFront Park. Need a place to stay? There are several pet-friendly options for lodging including six hotels and the Willow River State Park campground. Hudson tops the dog-friendly cities for Wisconsin.
- Median sold price: $360K
- Parks, recreation, preserves: 300 acres
- City population: 13,877
- Current # of homes for sale with fenced in yards: 29 of 168
#4 — Saint Cloud, MN
In late 2018, Grey Face Rescue opened a first-of-its-kind indoor dog park offering options for dogs who need a more private place to run and for those who need an option during our harsh Minnesota winters. Dog owners can book a private half hour in the park for a nominal charge or invite familiar dogs to join them during their scheduled time. There is also group play on the weekends, doggy birthday parties and puppy playtime.
There are three traditional fenced-in dog parks in St. Cloud, including Jaycees Park offering an option for small dogs. And there is no shortage of restaurants, coffee shops and breweries ready to welcome your furry companion to their patio including 7 West Taphouse, Pepperjax Grill, the White Horse and Beaver Island Brewing.
- Median sold price: $175K
- Parks, recreation, preserves: 1,682 acres
- City population: 66,169
- Current # of homes for sale with fenced in yards: 58 of 251
#5 — Hopkins, MN
Attention canine friends… Pub 819 offers a three-course menu just for you! Daily Yappy Hour includes a complimentary homemade Nilla Woofer. Fresh water is always available, and dog-owners can choose to treat their pets to one of five pet entrees or a special treat. May we suggest the peanut butter banana pupcream sundae?
If your dog loves a long walk, the Minnesota River Bluffs LRT Regional Trail runs 19 miles southwest from Hopkins to Chaska. Or the Cedar Lake Trail, another unused railroad corridor converted to a trail, offers a Minneapolis connection option.
- Median sold price: $300K
- Parks, recreation, preserves: 207 acres
- City population: 19,713
- Current # of homes for sale with fenced in yards: 7 of 17
#6 — Burnsville, MN
If your furry friend deserves the best, check out Alimagnet Dog Park in Burnsville, once voted one of the best dog parks in the country by Dog Fancy magazine! Pups love to run the seven-acre fenced park and frolic in the large pond. Add in a heated shelter for those cold winter months, a scenic walking trail, a dog-washing station and a designated area for elderly or special needs dogs, and you have a doggy paradise.
Hungry? Patio seating is ready for you at several local dog-friendly restaurants including Mediterranean Cruise Café, Clive’s Roadhouse and Lucky’s 13 Pub, or simply grab a treat at Great Harvest Bread.
- Median sold price: $315K
- Parks, recreation, preserves:3,192 acres
- City population: 62,657
- Homes for sale with fenced in yards: 22 out of 107
#7 — Plymouth, MN
Rock Elm Tavern offers 30, yes 3-0, pet-friendly tables on their patio! Your canine companion will get pampered with their own bowl of water and ice; it’s the perfect place to relax after spending some time at one of Plymouth’s three dog parks. Plymouth Dog Park is the largest and most popular option featuring a natural, open running space, agility equipment for play and a special area for dogs under 20 pounds. Love a good walk? Plymouth offers 173 miles of hiking trails.
- Median sold price: $470K
- Parks, recreation, preserves: 2,306 acres
- City population: 78,351
- Homes for sale with fenced in yards: 40 out of 266
Honorable mentions: Awesome dog parks
- Bloomington, MN — Bloomington’s off-leash dog park is one of the most popular in the state offering 25 acres of grassy hills, trails, a pond for cooling off and even a dog-designed water fountain.
- Maplewood, MN — Battle Creek Regional Dog Park is part of the Ramsey County park system and includes access to well-groomed trails perfect for a scenic walk. The 25-acre dog park offers fenced-in, off-leash exploration, complete with woods, open fields and a swampy area.
Honorable mentions: Doggy events
- Maple Grove, MN — Held annually in August, pups and their two-legged friends gather at the Shoppes at Arbor Lakes for Woof-a-Pawlooza.
- New Hope, MN — Pub 42 hosts an annual Woofstock festival in July and, when the patio is open, dogs are always welcome.
- Mankato, MN — Does your dog love the water? The Paw in Mankato offers indoor pool options for your pooch including open swim, private pool rental, pool parties and Sunday afternoon Surf-n-Turf to enjoy the pool and indoor/outdoor play areas. And yes, you are encouraged to swim with your dog.
*Single family homes and townhomes listed for sale in the Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota, Inc. as of 10/25/2019.