Key insights from June 2019 (compared to June 2018)*
- New listings: 8,473 | -3.1%
- Median sales price: $290,000| +7.2%
- Pending sales: 6,305 | -2.9%
- Days on market: 40 | 0%
- Inventory: 12,063 | -1.3%
- Months’ supply: 2.5 | 0.0%
Demand for starter homes continues to rise
Housing prices continue to rise with the median sales price for June reaching another all-time high at $290,000. While rising prices typically result in more seller activity, homeowners are finding limited options for downsizing, and the number of June new listings slowed with a decrease of 3.1 percent. Not surprising, pending and closed sales also reflected a decrease when compared to June of last year.
There is a clear need for increased housing options in the under $300,000 range, but homebuilders are facing challenges as the costs associated with new construction are also on the rise. Regulations and the increase in land, labor and materials result in new supply in the luxury market instead of more affordable products. There is still significant demand from homebuyers, especially millennials and baby boomers, for affordable price points. This continues to create a seller advantage with quick market times and often multiple offers for entry-level homes. However, buyers are seeing improvements as April and May both showed an increase in the number of listings from the prior year.
Mortgage rates remain low at around 3.81 percent on a 30-year fixed loan. Unemployment rates also remain low—all signs of a healthy economy.
Find out everything you need to know about buying—get the Go-To Guide for Buying a Home. It’s free and full of answers to your home buying questions.Get your free guide
Economic check up
- Minneapolis-St. Paul area unemployment rate: 2.7%
- Average rates for 30-year conforming mortgage: 3.81%**
- Condo sales decreased 13.3%
- Townhome sales decreased 6.1%
- Single family sales decreased 7.5%
- New construction sales rose 2%
The long and the short of it
- Prices reached a new all-time median high of $290,000.
- June saw a decrease in both new listings and closed sales.
- Lower price points remain in high demand and still favor sellers.
- New construction has slowed but does continue to rise, showing a 2.0 percent increase.
Let’s get started
Your home is unique and so is your story. You deserve more than a computer-formulated look at your home’s value. Connect with a real person with real experience and local expertise to see what your home could sell for. Reach out for a free home analysis from a market expert in your area.
Download the Ultimate Guide to Selling Your Home for tips and ideas from local professionals.
*Data courtesy NorthstarMLS for the 16-County Twin Cities metro area for June 2019.
**Data sourced from Freddiemac.com for informational purposes only. Please contact your mortgage consultant for any questions related to specific loan transactions.
Where you live
Edina Realty serves locations across Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Here’s a look at the market indicators where you live. All percent changes are year-over-year.
- New listings: 174 | -10%
- Avg. sales price: $246,522 | +9%
- Pending sales: 142 | +14%
- Days on market: 47 | -15%
- Inventory: 445 | -19%
- Months’ supply: 4.7 | -15%
- New listings: 858 | +4%
- Avg. sales price: $236,710 | -1%
- Closed sales: 515 | -3%
- Days on market: 58 | -16%
- Inventory: 2,006 | -9%
- Months’ supply: 5.1 | -11%
- New listings: 671 | -2%
- Avg. sales price: $219,013 | +7%
- Closed sales: 393 | 0%
- Days on market: 45 | +5%
- Inventory: 1,720 | -1%
- Months’ supply: 5.7 | -20%
Southeast Minnesota area
- New listings: 731 | -6%
- Avg. sales price: $242,774 | +7%
- Closed sales: 751 | -8%
- Days on market: 51 | +24%
- Inventory: 1,435 | +2%
- Months’ supply: 2.9 | +7%
St. Cloud area
- New listings: 247 | +3%
- Avg. sales price: $224,544 | +7%
- Pending sales: 232 | -4%
- Days on market: 46 | +15%
- Inventory: 410 | -4%
- Months’ supply: 2.7 | -4%
Northwestern Wisconsin area
- New listings: 1,392 | +3%
- Avg. sales price: $190,659 | +6%
- Closed sales: 837 | -1%
- Days on market: 159 |-10%
- Inventory: 6,858 | -3%
- Months’ supply: 12.2 | -8%
West Central and Southwest Minnesota area
- New listings: 387 | -6%
- Avg. sales price: $156,188 | -1%
- Pending sales: 298 | +9%
- Days on market: 81 |-16%
- Inventory: 1,136 | +2%
- Months’ supply: 5.1 | +2%