- Mid-century modern design is a popular style that encompasses bold yet thoughtful features and elements.
- Browse through antique stores and even Target to find mid-century modern furniture and art that will transform your house.
- This style is completely liveable and it’s attractive to homebuyers, making it great for homeowners at any stage.
If you’ve watched a house flipping show, visited Pinterest or taken a peek into interior design, you’ve likely run into the term “mid-century modern.” This popular design trend is taking over everything from furniture to wall decor to light fixtures.
Homeowners, buyers and sellers all seem interested in mid-century modern properties. Whether you’re staging your home for sale or you’ve just purchased a property and want to elevate your interior design, be sure to keep these mid-century modern styling tips in mind.
What is mid-century modern?
Design trends tend to change over time (check out 2021 design trends here!). While the original mid-century modern period began in the 1930s and ended in the 1960s, the style continues to be a favorite choice among homeowners and property buyers today.
The mid-century modern style is a design movement best known for its colorful, minimalist and functional characteristics. The unique aesthetic of mid-century modern can be expressed through anything from furniture to graphic design. Here are some additional standout features of the mid-century modern style:
- Blend of organic and geometric forms
- Clean lines and clutter-less atmosphere
- Mixture of materials and textural elements
- Optimization of natural light and exciting light fixtures
Mid-century modern design elements
When decorating your space in a mid-century modern style, look for quality pieces of furniture and home decor including:
- Long, low couches
- Glass coffee tables
- Modern-colored paintings and walls
- Vibrant and earthy colors (the 2021 Colors of the Year are perfect!)
- Starburst wall hangings
- Pendant light fixtures and floor lamps
- Clean, wooden side tables
- Rugs featuring geometric patterns or lines
- Brass elements, such as knobs or picture frames
These design elements are key features of mid-century modern design and will certainly help enhance the look and feel of your space.
Where to shop for mid-century modern pieces
Due to its popularity, mid-century modern furniture pieces can be found anywhere from vintage and antique stores to big box retail stores like Target and Walmart. This makes shopping for mid-century modern decor elements extremely convenient, especially if you’re looking to score a great deal on new furniture.
And if you want an original piece or two, be sure to check out local second-hand shops and antique stores. With baby boomers clearing their attics and basements, mid-century modern treasures are being unearthed and donated every day.
Small changes for a big mid-century modern effect
If you’re hoping to make small updates to modernize an outdated house, or you’d like to add a fresh design style when staging your home before selling, consider adding pops of mid-century modern around the property. The clean lines of mid-century modern furniture and art will look great in person and online. Plus, the minimalist mid-century modern style will help to make the house’s best features stand out by complementing (rather than competing with) the space.
Plus, keep in mind that buyers are likely to love a house with mid-century modern style. In fact, mid-century modern was ranked the #1 trend in Minnesota and the #2 in Wisconsin.
Moving forward with mid-century modern
Now that you’ve invested in a mid-century modern decor style, it’s time to sit back and relax, while taking in the beauty of your new space. And, if you’ve put in the work to upgrade your home so it’s ready to sell, reach out to Edina Realty or one of our agents. We’re able to help you list your mid-century modern home on the market.